Welcome to cyberTRUNK Recipes!

Over the past two decades or so, I have assembled a vast array of recipes, particularly those that have become favorites with friends and family. My long term goal was to publish a cookbook to pass these tried and true favorites on. That idea started before blogs. So, I have created this blogsite where I can share these culinary tidbits. I hope you find something that you and your family embrace! I look forward to hearing from you as well! Thanks for checking out my cyberTRUNK Recipes!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

FRIED GULF CATFISH


INGREDIENTS
Peanut Oil
1/2 cup Grits or Cornmeal
1/2 cup Flour
1 tsp Old Bay Blackened Seasoning

1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tst Paprika
1/4 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
3/4 cup Buttermilk

2-3 fresh Limes
6 fresh Gulf Catfish fillets


Preparing fresh CATFISH FILLETS:
Prepare the fresh catfish into fillets, rinse thoroughly, sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
In a deep bowl, put the fillets on ice, and drench with freshly squeezed lime juice.
Cover and refrigerate overnight, or ready to use. 

DIRECTIONS
  • Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or deep fryer to 350 degrees F.  
  • Whisk the cornmeal/grits and flour together in a shallow dish. 
  • Combine seafood seasoning, salt, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl.
  • Prepare the fillets by rinsing and patting dry; put them on a plate to season.
  • Season the catfish fillets evenly on both sides with the spice mixture. 
  • Pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish. 
  • Dip each fillet into the buttermilk, flip once to coat both sides. 
  • Coat both sides of the fillets in the cornmeal mixture.
  • Set the coated fillets on a cooling rack and let rest for 5 minutes.
  • Gently add the fillets, 2 at a time, to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
  • Remove the fried fillets to a cooling rack set over a newspaper to drain the excess oil.

Preparation Time: about 30 minutes cook time
Serves: 2 - 3

DavidLee Recipes © 2010

1 comment:

  1. I just recently was re-introduced to the culinary benefits of the catfish... not the freshwater variety that I have had previously, with that "muddy" taste. My latest experience has been with freshly caught saltwater variety from the shores of the Gulf of Mexico. OK, I'll give you that the cleaning and prep of the gulf cats was - well - nothing short of obnoxious. However, once they were prepped and filleted to the best of my abilities, I had the opportunity to prepare them several different ways. WOW! I was impressed. The meat on these gulf cats was decidedly mild and literally "sweet", particularly with this recipe... I encourage you to give GULF CATFISH a real chance, freshly caught and fried... it's a surprising delight! Enjoy!
    DavidLee

    ReplyDelete

Pages