Welcome to cyberTRUNK Recipes!

Over the past two decades or so, I have assembled a vast array of recipes, particularly those that have become favorites with friends and family. My long term goal was to publish a cookbook to pass these tried and true favorites on. That idea started before blogs. So, I have created this blogsite where I can share these culinary tidbits. I hope you find something that you and your family embrace! I look forward to hearing from you as well! Thanks for checking out my cyberTRUNK Recipes!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

SOUTHERN RED VELVET CAKE


RED VELVET CAKE
Blend together:
1 1/2 cups Peanut Oil
1 1/2 cups Sugar
Beat in one at a time:
2 Eggs  
Add and mix in:
2 tablespoons Cocoa
1 teaspoon Vinegar 
1 oz. bottle Red Food Coloring
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Vanilla\
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 9-inch round layer cake pans.
  • Sift the flour, baking soda and cocoa. 
  • In a large bowl, beat sugar and peanut oil together, then add the eggs one at a time.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together the vinegar, food coloring, and vanilla, and add to the bowl of sugar and oil beating until combined.
  • Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients, staring and ending with the flour.
  • Pour batter into the pans, taping them on the table to level out the batter and release air bubbles. 
  • Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Be careful not to over bake.
  • Let the layers cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out of the pans.
  • Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup Margarine
8 oz package Cream Cheese
1 box Confectioner's Sugar (sifted)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup pecans (chopped)


Depending on how much frosting you prefer, you may want to use 1 and 1/2 recipes for this cake.
  • Let margarine and cream cheese soften to room temperature.
  • Cream them together well.
  • Add sugar and until mixed, but not so much that the frosting becomes "loose".
  • Add vanilla.
  • Spread between layers and on top and sides to cover the cake well.
  • Sprinkle chopped pecans on the top to prepare the cake for presentation.
Cover and refrigerate this cake due to the cream cheese frosting.

Preparation Time: about 2 hours
Serves: 8 - 12

DavidLee Recipes © 2010

1 comment:

  1. I have searched high and low for the BEST Red Velvet Cake recipe I could find. Honestly, I like one that I can taste the hint of cocoa in the mix, and that is remarkably moist. I spoke with a number of "old school" southern cooks, alot about the "secrets" of a REAL southern Red Velvet cake. So I started piecing together alot of the tidbits that I heard. I would have to say I truly believe that the "southern" secret is in the oil. It does make a difference with this recipe when you use peanut oil. I also am convinced that there is nothing that makes this cake better more than good fresh buttermilk. I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy!
    - DavidLee

    ReplyDelete

Pages